20 Haziran 2018 Çarşamba

247. Lek And The Dogs; movie review

LEK AND THE DOGS
Cert 15
92 mins
BBFC advice: Contains disturbing scenes

I reckon that if I met director Andrew Kotting I would probably like him. After all, he's a boundary-pusher.
But I am afraid that I struggle with his movies because they are just too off the wall.
I was disappointed by Lek And The Dogs because I really wanted to know more about the fascinating true story upon which it is based.
Ivan Mishukov escaped his home in Reutov, Russia when he was just four years old to escape his mother and her abusive alcoholic boyfriend.
He ended up living with a pack of feral dogs for two years, gaining their trust by providing them with food and in return they protected him.
Kotting's film adds his own very personal interpretation on Hattie Taylor's play about Mishukov's story.
Instead of Ivan, Kotting has created a mirror character called Lek who is played by his regular collaborator Xavier Tchili.
He is portrayed as being close to the edge, speaking more fondly of his beloved dogs than humans.
But his tale is diluted by all sorts of arty asides from cameras lingering, for no obvious reason, over a desert, to deliberately fuzzy presentation.
Indeed, Kotting's concentration on abstract art rather than the story means that the latter becomes very difficult to follow.
Not that I think he cares. Indeed, I am not even sure he is trying to attract audiences at all.

Reasons to watch: A fascinating story is at its heart
Reasons to avoid: Its arty presentation distracts rather than complements the narrative

Laughs: None
Jumps: None
Vomit: None
Nudity: None
Overall rating: 5/10



Director quote - Andrew Kotting: "I became less interested in telling conventional stories. The majority of my voice in it is more akin to the work I’ve been making for the last 10 years. There’s something now that I feel a lot more at home with than I would telling a story."

The big question - Who is this sort of artistic slant aimed at?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

267. The Bookshop; movie review

THE BOOKSHOP Cert PG 113 mins BBFC advice: Contains mild bad language For about 45 minutes I was a little bit in love with the quain...