26 Haziran 2018 Salı

252. The Deer Hunter; movie review

THE DEER HUNTER
Cert 18
178 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong violence, threat, portrayals of wartime trauma

It's a classic - and to mark the 40th anniversary of the release of Michael Cimino's The Deer Hunter, it has been re-released by Park Circus.
I have to be honest and admit that I have watched it so many times that it was rather over-familiar when I saw it on an aircraft on a flight to Canada for our holidays.
Therefore, I shall leave you with my review from 2014 when I previously saw it. My words still hold good.

I wish I had 20 quid for every time I have been asked what my favourite film is.
It remains It's A Wonderful Life but I reckon there should be a place in my all-time top 20 for The Deer Hunter.
The hallmark of its true greatness is that it is as fresh now, upon its re-release, as it was in 1978.
Indeed, for me, it improved with age because I had missed much of its symbolism when I watched it decades ago.
For the uninitiated, the storyline of Michael Cimino's film centres of three steelworkers (Robert De Niro, Christopher Walken and John Savage) from a community of Russian migrants to America.
In its early stages, it focuses on the lead up to the wedding of Savage's character and the departure of the trio to Vietnam.
They come from a tough but loyal community in which hard drinking and hunting underscore masculinity.
But the facade of bravery is wiped away by the chaos of war in Vietnam as the friends face a battle to stay alive.
All three actors are outstanding and have great support from the likes of real-life partners Meryl Streep and John Cazale.
In fact, Cazale, who was suffering terminal cancer during filming died before the movie was released.
That adds an emotional footnote to a picture which will stir everyone who sees it.
The word masterpiece should only be reserved for the very greatest works. This is one.
It returns to cinemas this month (August) but I watched it on itunes.


Reasons to watch: One of the classic anti-war films
Reasons to avoid: Some very tough scenes

Laughs: None
Jumps: None
Vomit: None
Nudity: Yes
Overall rating: 10/10



Director quote - Michael Cimino: "For me, it's a very personal film. I was attached to Green Beret medical unit. My characters are portraits of people whom I knew. During the years of controversy over the war, the people who fought the war, whose lives were immediately affected and damaged and changed by the war, they were disparaged and isolated by the press. But they were common people who had an uncommon amount of courage.”

The big question - What was Vietnam all about?

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

267. The Bookshop; movie review

THE BOOKSHOP Cert PG 113 mins BBFC advice: Contains mild bad language For about 45 minutes I was a little bit in love with the quain...